Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Tuesday: It's the new Monday!


Since Monday was Memorial Day, I'm playing catch-up today. I'm running quite a few errands, since, as Alex Pope said, "To errand is human; to forget (What you came in to the store to get) is benign." At least, I think that's what he said.
Some folks have quoted him as saying something about making mistakes and forgiving them, but I think they must have misheard him.

But you say, "Oh no! The quote is, properly, 'To err is human, to forgive divine.' It is found in Pope's Essay on Criticism. Part ii. Line 325!"

Oh. Well, does it really matter whether or not your recollection of the quote is right? Isn't it so that what really matters is whether I believe it or not? Probably Pope has been misquoted down through the ages by forgiveness-obsessed literati who want to conceal the truth, because they need to protect their exalted status and power as editors? And isn't it true that the acknowledgement of "To err is human, to forgive divine" would uproot their ability to critique authors with such vitriol? Aha! It must be a conspiracy!

I'm sorry. I really went overboard in my level of silliness just then. If you believe that Alexander Pope has been quoted correctly by the masses, and you agree with his assertion, then I beg your forgiveness for my human shortcomings. Thank you, and good day.

Listening to: The chirruping of crickets filling the silence that follows my rant.

No comments: