Friday, August 11, 2006

Filosophical Phriday

Reverend Fun comic today.
Cracked me up!
The brushed steel thermos on top of the wall is a nice touch. Kind of wondering about the guy on the ground. Observe the vacant look in his eyes! 'Makes me wonder if Builder McQuee up there got his wish, and this guy suddenly can't understand him, but is too polite to say so.

On another level, of course, this guy is attempting to subvert God's plan and power for his own ends! The building of the first tower was a direct refusal to obey God's command to spread out and "fill the earth." They built the thing to help them stay together, and so God confused their languages, forcing them to comply. (In retrospect, I wonder if that makes the attempts to find a single common language a lost cause? Or was the confusion of the languages just a temporary thing, and they all went back to speaking Paleo-Ugaritic, or whatever, after awhile, but by that point they were dispersed?) This yayhoo is attempting to force God to act again as he did before, simply because the man begins to build the tower. Do you think God will?
I occasionally hear people commenting that "God did it in the Bible and he will do it again!" Underlying that statement is a belief that God is as powerful to act today as he always was--a point with which I wholeheartedly agree. But there is a great deal of difference between "can" and "will." I "can" poke myself in the finger with a thumb tack. I "have done so" in the past. However, just because you hand me a thumb tack, that doesn't mean I "will" poke myself in the finger with it again. I have made no promise that I will. Unless God has promised that he will act in a certain fashion when certain criteria are met, it seems very presumptuous of us to say that God "will" do thus-and-so, simply because he did so once before!
Let God be creative! Let him be spontaneous! Let him surprise you! I may make you a cake for your birthday, but I might decide next year to buy you a laptop! If that's my plan, would you still prefer the cake?

I know! I know! It's just a comic!

No comments: