Saturday, June 16, 2007

The Father's Day Sermon You Won't Be Hearing Tomorrow

I saw a church sign today that said:

IT IS A WISE FATHER WHO
KNOWS HIS OWN SON

I'm thinking, "It is truly a sign of the times, when that is the standard by which wise fathers are judged!" (Yup, I submitted it right away to Joel's Crummy Church Signs blog!)

I suppose it was probably intended to be a clever take on something like Luke 10:22, in which Jesus says that no one knows the son (speaking of himself) except the father (speaking of his heavenly father, God.)

Or maybe they mean that the our wise heavenly father knows us, his adopted children.

Or maybe they were merely commenting on good parenting skills, stating that wise fathers really get to know their kids--not just identify them.

If they meant God as the "wise father," then I would contend that "It is a wise father that kills his own son," since God handed Jesus over to death. But I suppose that's a Father's Day sermon that has very few applications for fathers today.

2 comments:

Joel B. said...

Posted and reviewed, my frequently contributing friend. As usual, your review was too good to pass up.

Anonymous said...

You can make your own funny church sign messages @ www.CustomSignGenerator.com (switch letters around in the pictures).