Friday, August 13, 2010

Kentucky Fried Chicken: A Japanese Conspiracy?

So, I was looking at a KFC bucket the other day. My heart filled with warmth (or maybe it was just heartburn) as I looked at the picture of that fine old southern gentleman, Col Harland Sanders.

Col Sanders commands you, "Lick your fingers!"
It then occurred to me how Asian the ol' boy was looking. In fact, he reminded me of one of my favorite Japanese actors, Takashi Shimura.

Left: Col Sanders.   Right: Takashi Shimura
He was in a bunch of Akira Kurosawa films, and also played the old scientist in Godzilla.
Shimura in "High And Low" (left) & "Hidden Fortress" (right)
Really great fried chicken (though I prefer Popeye's, actually) or a conspiracy to infiltrate our minds with classic Japanese cinema? You be the judge!

No comments: