Thursday, June 05, 2008

Joke for my nephew

My nearly-five-years-old nephew, Jonah, has recently discovered the knock-knock joke. Of course, at his age, he doesn't generally get why one answer is funny and another one is not. You're likely to get something like:

Knock-Knock.
Who's there?
Eyeball.
Eyeball who?
Eyeball that sits on your nose.

This passes for comedy when you're not-quite-five.

However, he recently phoned me up and told me a joke that he had heard.

Why did the rubber chicken cross the road?
To get to the rubber side!

I thought that was very funny, and told him so, and responded with

Why did the turkey cross the road?
He was following the chicken.

Not as funny as "rubber side," but Jonah liked it. He came back with:

Why did the cow cross the road?
He was following the turkey that was following the chicken!

Why did the elephant cross the road?
He was following the cow that was following the turkey that was following the chicken!

And so on, until we had quite a menagerie crossing the road and blocking traffic.

Anyway, knowing that he's a big Star Wars fan, I invented a road-crossing joke just for him:

Why did Yoda cross the road?
(In my best Yoda impression) The other side to get to!

No comments: