Tuesday, February 08, 2011

New Spiritual Fruit Baffles Religious Nut

I was reading a catalog for Teacher Created Products recently. As you might guess by the name, it sells items created BY teachers FOR teachers.  Much of it is bulletin-board decorations. They have a religious product section as well, for use by, I'd guess, Christian schools and Sunday Schools. Well and good.

These items gave me pause, however.

Count the "fruits." Note what's listed. Feel free to check it against Galatians 5:22-23. Notice anything?

Feel free to share your bafflement and/or suggested explanations in the comment box.

4 comments:

hmsnow.novelist said...

Maybe...
1) a new manuscript fragment of Galatians was just discovered in the Middle East, featuring a grinning strawberry and the Greek word for 'caring'; or
2) somewhere, somebody's Sunday school teacher was OCD enough to think the number 9 insufficiently Biblical, in that it creates two unequal columns, but *not* OCD enough to be concerned about accurately handling the Word of God.

P.S. Is it just me, or does the strawberry bear a disturbing resemblance to Jay Leno?

lectorpoemarum said...

Maybe they had 10 fruits they wanted to include pictures of and couldn't decide on one to drop, so grabbed an extra good quality out of thin air and shoved it in?

Allen's Brain said...

HMS, I can definitely see Leno in the strawberry!

Lector, you may be on to something!

My best guess is that the word "love" has been so abused and misunderstood that they decided to throw in "caring" as an alternate rendering of the Greek "agape."

Anonymous said...

Maybe people aren't washing the fruit before they eat it? That is the sense I get when I see something as crazy as this. If it was made at my school, I can just imagine the fisticuffs it would have come to assigning a specific fruit to each of the gifts.