Wednesday, November 09, 2011

"Caption That Christian Kitsch!"

As a long-time Christian and occasional consumer of “religious” products, some amount of disappointment often arises with the dubious inspirational value of what amounts to kitsch at best and misuse of Scripture at worst. But I've learned to live with some of the cheesiness.

For instance, this apron, decorated with cupcakes and the text, “Taste and see that the Lord is good! Psalm 34:8.”  Its matching tea towel reads “How sweet are your words to my taste! Psalm 119:103”
 
Okay. So... goofy, but probably harmless. Besides, the tastiness of cupcakes COULD remind us of the goodness of God and his Word, right?


This one, I actually like. It’s a silly pun take on a Bible verse, and it DOES stick it in your mind!

Kinda’ cutesy, but I can think of people who would appreciate it for its punniness–though probably not treasure it for its SPIRITUAL content. (That is, unless they filled it with Jack Daniels or something.)



Okay, your turn to play!  Here is a “Contemporary 15" square wood frame with overall pattern design; 7" square mirror inset.”

What will the calligraphed words at the top say?

“I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made! Psalm 139:14”?

“I am made in the image of God! (Genesis 1:27)”

“Let me mirror Christ today”?

No, actually.
.
 
.
 
.
 
.
 
.
 
.
 
.
 
.
 
.
 
.
 
.
 
.
 
.
 
.
 
.
 
.
 
.
 
.
 
 
“Make a joyful noise unto the Lord. Psalm 100:1”


Nothing wrong with that text. Good stuff.

Why on a mirror?  Dunno.

"Christian" product, you confound me so!

More Christian Kitsch.

No comments: