Tuesday, November 27, 2012

More confusing Christian "kitsch"

I was in my local Christian bookstore the other day. I usually see simplistic or even cheesy religious slogans, but sometimes, I find the truly baffling. Such as this t-shirt:


As best as I could tell, there are no Scripture references or anything else to further explicate this conundrum. (They bypassed the misuse of the Bible by not including any on this shirt: kudos?) Clearly, this is geared to Star Wars fans who love Jesus. I'm okay with that. And while you can find Christian themes in those films, the over-arching worldview and philosophy is pantheistic/Hindu/Buddhist. It's not a worldview that Jesus embraced. Very confusing this is. Difficult to swallow I find it.

And then there was this framed picture:


 "He will cover you with his feathers, and under his wings you will find refuge; his faithfulness will be your shield and rampart." - Psalm 91:4

The text refers to God protecting his people in the same way a mother hen hides her chicks beneath her wings. Let's see... there's a bird! Birds have feathers AND wings! So, if the little bird is standing in for the Almighty, the that makes us... the door knob? That's right. The message of this picture is that YOU, faithful believer, are a knob -- and you're about to be pooped on.

No comments: