Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Purim 2013, "Darling Vashti Mine"

If you have read my blog much over the years, you know I love the Jewish holiday of Purim, based on the book of Esther. Nearly every year, we have a comic re-telling of the story at Cornland C.C. I thought it'd be fun this year to include some song parodies for for all of us to sing.
Here's the first. My apologies.
*****

"Darling Vashti Mine"
(Tune of "Darling Clementine")


In the ancient Land of Persia,
Xerxes lived a life of ease,
Lots of gold and jewels and power,
And those week-long stag parties.

Oh the feasting, Oh the drinking,
Oh those lovely Persian wines!
Filling up those golden goblets,
Keep on drinking 'til you're blind!

Now Queen Vashti, she was lovely,
For her beauty was renowned.
Xerxes bade her come display her-
-self. "And wear the royal crown."

Vashti would not, Vashti could not.
She refused the king's command.
In his malice, from the palace,
Xerxes had Queen Vashti banned.

For the queen is a role model,
And as disobedient spouse,
All the wives will do as she did,
And no man will rule his house!

Oh My Darling, Oh My Darling,
Oh my Darling Vashti Mine,
You refused me, Now you lose me.
I'll replace you in no time!

On to the next Purim parody!

No comments: