Thursday, June 29, 2006

Preparations for VBS continue

"So, what did you today?"
"Glued nickels to the bottoms of rubber duckies. And you?"

I ordered some cute little "pirate" rubber duckies from a catalog. They have eye patches and head scarves and spyglasses and maps and--well, you get the picture. They're pirates. The problem is, because of the way they're built, they tip over in the water. I found out, however, that I could tape a nickel (a penny wasn't heavy enough) to the bottom, and they would sit upright. One dozen ducks & 60 cents later, voila! Upright pirate duckies!

Ran errands yesterday, mostly buying stuff for VBS. Late last night, I was at the super Wal-Mart buying coconuts. When I strolled up to the heckout register (as in, "pay for your stuff and get the heckout of here!") with a coconut in each hand, the lady there asked me what I was going to do with them.
"Coconut bowling," I replied. "An activity for kids. We're using 2-liter bottles as pineapples for pins, and going coconut bowling." (Can you imagine using real pineapples? Ew!)

I'm making up newsprint paper surfboards with the memory work for my VBS class. I'll probably slap some cardboard on the back for stability. Most of the verses will be easy: "Love is Patient; Love is Kind." The first one, however, is 1 Jn 4:9 "This is how God showed his love among us: He sent his one and only son into the world that we might live through him." That's alot to letter on a surfboard!

If you're bored this evening, stop by the Cornland Christian Church building, and help us paint the stage backdrop.

Listening to: The SonTreasure Island songs whiffling through my head, like the Jabberwock through the tulgey wood, minus all the burbling.

No comments: