Monday, July 24, 2006

Monday's child is full of beans

Sunday morning had a few unexpected grandkids and other young'uns, so it was a good thing that I was preaching from the Gospel of St Seuss, Chapter Green Eggs & Ham. (For those not in Cornland on Sunday, I tied it into Ps 34:8, "Taste and see that the Lord is good, blessed is the man who takes refuge in him." As it turns out, I do alright reading the page upside-down, so I can show the pictures to the audience.)

Took the kids to "The Rec," as they call it. I assume that's what they're saying--short for "The Recreation Center," or perhaps "The Recluse"--and not "The Wreck," which is what I immediately hear. "The Wreck" sounds like were gonna explore some sunken ship for treasure, but I don't think there was one in their swimming pool. There's a driving range, though (which doesn't involve cars at all, I was disappointed to discover). There's a gymnasium (from the Greek gymnos, meaning "naked") where you can shoot hoops, but neither firearms nor archery gear are involved! In short, I found the entire afternoon very misleading.

My favorite nephew, Jonah, turned 3 over the weekend, and reportedly had a good party--and a good haul, present-wise. Happy Birthday, Jonah!

Didn't see "Lady in the Water" on Saturday. Maybe today.

No comments: