Tuesday, April 07, 2009

The Bare Truth About The Resurrection!

DesperatePreachers is a resource/website where preachers can interact and discuss the assigned lectionary texts for the week. Though I don't generally follow the lectionary, during Advent/Christmas & Lent/Holy Week I tend to pop in and join the discussion. As a result, in 2006, the following interplay took place regarding the resurrection account in John 20, esp vss 14-15.

As you might surmise, I'm "Rabbi in IL."
*****

Posted by
Rabbi in IL
April 11, 2006
Is there a lot of nude gardening in the ancient world? Jesus exits his tomb, leaves his graveclothes behind, and is now standing in the same garden in which he was buried. What is he wearing?
Or did Jesus borrow a pair of shorts and a "Greenthumb" t-shirt off the gardener's clothesline nearby?
Remembering the old Russian custom of telling your best jokes on Easter, because of the joke Jesus played on the devil in rising from the dead.

Posted by
KHC (khc)
April 11, 2006
Looking at some of the Renaissance paintings, it becomes clear Jesus probably didn't find that gardener's clothes line. I like to make church bulletins from fine art prints, and can't use many of the Crucifixion or Resurrection scenes because too many would object to Jesus with a tiny strip of cloth and nothing more.

Posted by
Rabbi in IL
April 11, 2006
Indeed! And he probably didn't even have that much on, on the cross. One occasionally reads in a book that the Jews were allowed a loincloth when crucified, but I can't find any documentation to that effect.
Maybe he was standing behind a bush, and that's why she thought he was the gardner.

Posted by
Cindy
April 11, 2006
Yes. Where did Jesus get clothes? Of course, as the new Adam, could he be naked and 'not ashamed?'
Is there something there or am I getting delirious?

Posted by
KHC (khc)
April 11, 2006
Oh, the things we worry about! laughing all the way.....

Posted by
Rabbi in IL
April 12, 2006
Cindy, I was only kidding around, but that "newAdam" line will preach! That's a keeper! I'm not really seriously suggesting that Jesus was actually nude at that moment, to the eyes of Mary. But that is a wonderful addition to the old sermon on two gardens (Eden & Paradise)! There are actually THREE gardens! As we sing in the old hymn, "Oh what a foretaste of glory divine!" Thanks for passing on your delirium to the rest of us!

Posted by
Dogwood Dave
April 12, 2006
Not sure I know the third garden hymn that was quoted, but "I'll come to the garden alone", because I am too embarrassed being naked?
Chew on that one? HA!

Posted by
Rabbi in IL
April 12, 2006
Dogwood Dave, That was a line yanked, entirely out of context, from "Blessed Assurance."
Went the garden alone, because you were embarrassed about being naked. Hmmm... And what was it (the 1st) Adam said? "I was afraid, because I was naked, so I hid?"
If the garden described in Revelation is the regaining of Eden, and Jesus is the second Adam...
Mom! Cindy and Dave are making me think! Tell 'em to quit it!

2 comments:

The Ironic Catholic said...

That's very funny!

Happy Easter to you!

Allen's Brain said...

I pitched the idea to my Sunday School class Sunday morning, and they didn't know what to make of it either.
Happy "Sonrise" Day to you, to IC!