1. D9GGUS3X - Denying Jesus 3 times, which would is Simon Peter, naturally.
2. LEVIR8 - Levirate. A gamble to be sure. Since not everyone is a Hebrew Bible geek like me. Levirate marriage is where a man marries the widow of his deceased brother in order to father a son in the name of the deceased, and by producing an heir, preserve the property rights for the deceased’s family. Still unclear? Wikipedia it, okay? I was thinking of Onan here (Genesis 38, and on the simultaneous lists of “things I sometimes wish weren’t in the Bible” and “Bible stories your kids won’t hear in Sunday School”) but I suppose Judah might also apply. No offense meant to North Dakota, btw.
3. Y ME - is, naturally, “Why Me?” and I was thinking of Job, putting it on a “Misery” license plate, but I suppose any number of folks could fit here. Elijah, David, Jonah, Elizabeth (upon encountering pregnant Mary), Mary... take your pick.
4. LONR DNKY - Loner Donkey. Jesus borrowed the young donkey he rode into Jerusalem. It’s a New York plate, because, while Jerusalem was the Jewish capitol in Jesus’ day, it seems like it’s New York City these days.
5. S2 4 TR8 - I meant “Stew for Trade.” Jacob, or maybe Esau. Nevada, home of gambling capitals, Las Vegas and Reno.
6. RGNLSIN - Original Sin, Adam. I’m not a Calvinist, but Adam does commit the first recorded (“original”) sin, if you don’t count the snake. Also, I couldn’t fit another R at the end to make it “sinner.” New Jersey, the Garden State–as close as I could think of to Eden.
7. DAD2MNE - Dad to many, by which I meant Abraham. Florida, ‘cause Abe was past retirement age. Ya’ gotta see Veggie Tales’ “Abe & the Promise,” which depicts Ur as a gated retirement village. Pretty stinkin’ funny!
8. 1K WIMN - 1,000 Women. My choice of Utah was a bad joke. Thanks for catching it, SharkBait. King Solomon had 700 wives and 300 concubines. Yeesh!
And the prize goes to SharkBait, for getting the whole batch--and even seeing my evil sense of humor in some of the state picks!
this site to make the plates.