Monday, June 25, 2007

Sunday School Sea Shanty, pt 3

Here's my half-hearted attempt to do something with "Barnacle Bill the Sailor." Mind you, any cleaning up of most of the lyrics I found is probably an improvement...

There is a full-length mp3 of the song available online from a band called Drunk and Disorderly, if you're really interested, but the language is pretty coarse and the content is not for the faint of heart.

There's a decent snippet here of a sanitized edition of the song that's enough to give you a sense of how it goes if you're not familiar with it.



The brevity and repetition make this one of those songs ideal for a compose-on-the-spot competition, if that's your thing.



For example:



Who’s that knocking at my door? 3x

Cried the weary sinner.


“It’s me, lost soul, and only me,” said Jesus Christ the Savior.

“It’s me, lost soul, and only me,” said Jesus Christ the Savior.


“And what do you want from me?” 3x

Cried the weary sinner.


“Open your heart and let me in,” says Jesus Christ the Savior.

“I’ll give you new life within,” says Jesus Christ the Savior.


“What will I get if I do?” x3

Cried the weary sinner.


“From your sin I’ll set you free,” says Jesus Christ the Savior.

“You’ll have life eternally,” says Jesus Christ the Savior.

-----



Well, you get the idea. You can likely come up with something much better.

Much more entertaining is this one about Noah or this one about Jonah.

2 comments:

Raymond Betancourt said...

Actually, I wasn't familiar with the rendition of this song by the band "Drunk and Disorderly".

The version I was referring to was this one from the 1930's.

Sorry if there was any misunderstanding.

TDB

Allen's Brain said...

[chuckles nervously]
Yeah... I wondered about that. I came across that version as well. One is a variation on the other, and I chose that one. It was a gamble, and I've never been much of a gambler.

Darn fallible human nature!