Friday, August 31, 2007

Love, Honor, and Obey?

Had a wedding rehearsal last night.

As a minister, I've had many brides request that her vow to obey be deleted from the wedding service. Truthfully, I can’t remember the last time I attended a wedding that actually included that traditional vow.

Here’s my two-cents worth on the subject, anyway: Your unwillingness to commit to obey your husband-to-be betrays a distinct mistrust of the guy. You apparently fear that he will abuse that promise.

I’m not necessarily advocating a return to that traditional feature of the wedding vows, (Scripture, after all, says “submit to one another”) but if that is really what you think of this man, why on earth are you marrying him?

1 comment:

Joel B. said...

Heck yeah. If they'd have asked, I'd have said "obey" in my vows to my wife.