Thursday, November 29, 2007

New Spiritual Gift Discovered?

Should the ability to play interminably-long games of Candyland be considered a spiritual gift?

Over the holydays, I played a LOT of Candyland with my four-year-old nephew. Last Christmas, I played lots of Candyland with him. My sister and bro-in-law seem to regard the playing of Candyland as a bit less pleasant than a Novocaine-free root-canal. I admit to some nausea over the denizens of Candyland, like Princess Lolly, but playing the game seems pretty painless to me.

Is this a newly-discovered spiritual gift that the Apostle Paul failed to take note of, simply because the game had not yet been invented?

Then again, I don't hold up as well through repeated viewings of Thomas The Tank Engine...

5 comments:

hmsnow.novelist said...

I think they should develop a variation on Candyland based on Dante's Divine Comedy. Its target market, of course, would be overeducated adults instead of children, but the pictures on the board would be SO much more interesting...

Allen's Brain said...

Sort of the Garbage Pail Kids of board games, eh?

"Beatrice stops to admire her reflection in the Lake of Fire. Stay here until you draw a Conceit card."

"Move forward two Gluttony spaces."

The Ironic Catholic said...

Allen--there's a post in that comment!

I need to earnestly strive for your proposed spiritual gifts. Forget wisdom and faith, surviving Chutes and Ladders works for me!

Anonymous said...

I think the existing virtues of patience, love, and fortitude cover Candyland nicely. The truly saintly can even watch Barney.

LeslieDawn Whimsy said...

Candyland isn't as fun as Shoots and Ladders!!!! Now that is quality 4yr/33yr old uncle entertainment!!