Monday, February 15, 2010

Your advice required

What do I do about my addiction to cold turkey?

Can I apply cold cuts like some sort of nicotine patch?
-----

Been preaching through the minor prophets, lately They don't pay as well, though. Did 3 weeks on Amos, 4 weeks on Joel, and landed on Hosea for Valentine's Day. The title? "Love Can Make You Stupid!"

I mean, seriously! What kind of fool marries a woman of loose morals, sticks with her despite repeated infidelities and children born of her affairs? And then, once she's left him and been tossed aside by her lovers, landing--indebted--in slavery, he goes and buys her back and says, "Let's try and make this marriage work"! What an idiot! You know she's only going to run around on you again! Let her go; and good riddance!

What's that? Hosea's relationship with his adulterous wife is really a picture of God and his relationship to his people? Oh, okay. Never mind.

I still contend that love like that is irrational and bordering on insanity. However, I'm certainly glad it's how God treats me!

Other major item on my plate right now? I'm writing our Vacation Bible School curriculum this year. We're a very small congregation, and it's difficult to make a lot of current programs work with our limited volunteering base, not to mention the prohibitive costs of purchasing even introductory packs with our budgetary restrictions at the moment. So, I'm putting together something that's different from everywhere/everyone else, and more suited to our circumstances. And thus is born--or at least gestating--"Thou Shalt Party!" The five lessons are built around the Jewish festivals of Rosh Hashannah (Jewish New Year), Pesach (Passover), Shavuot (Pentecost), Sukkot ("Tabernacles" or "Booths"), and Purim (the events of Esther.)
If it is explosively successful this year, I might make it available to any who are interested.

2 comments:

PaperSmyth said...

Yes, Hosea does show "borderline insane" love from God. (I am so glad it made it into the Book, though.)

Good luck with the VBS curriculum development. Hope it works out well.

I have no love for cold turkey so I'm afraid your on your own there.

Allen's Brain said...

Enjoy your input as always, PS!