Thursday, December 05, 2013

A couple unusual nativities

Every year, a certain website publishes pictures of the most outrageous, bizarre, stupid and/or offensive nativity sets they can find. Here are a couple I found online recently that suit my twisted, monster-movie-fueled sensibilities.
Isabel Samaras
 Not three-dimensional figures, but delightfully-awful, nonetheless. I like the bat rattle. At first, I though Drac was supposed to be Joseph, but I expect he's intended to be a wise man, since it's Frankie & his Bride. Almost want to make this into a Christmas card. Almost.

And now, 2 Day of the Dead-themed manger scenes:
Hand-carved in Guatemala, $95 on eBay.

I like this small one for it's use of color and flowers. Again, no shepherds, though those two skeleton animals  may be sheep. The figure on the far left is an angel. See the red wings?

Peruvian artisan Claudio Jimenez Quispe
This one is huge, and certainly more-elaborate -- but just as inappropriate. Must be seen full-sized to be disbelieved. Click, if you dare!

And, while we're on the subject, here's the tiki manger I posted last year.



No comments: