Sunday, June 04, 2006

Allen's Brain rants about "Christian" emails

Tibetan Buddhists have a device called a prayer wheel. Printed around the outside edge of the cylinder is their mantra, "Om Mani Padme Hum," which means something like "Behold! The Jewel in the Lotus!" The Buddhists believe that when you spin the prayer wheel, it is as if you had read/recited this mantra, and it "the powerful benevolent attention and blessings of Chenrezig, the embodiment of compassion." In other words, spin the wheel, and you are praying. This, to me, seems absurd at best. Maybe it does to you, too--or maybe you are better in touch with the ideas of Buddhism and "get it."

Anyway, I feel the same way about certain "Christian" emails. The particular ones in question contain a short prayer, and then end with something like "Forward this to 9 people and the person who sent this to you, and you will have prayed for 10 people!"
Really? I have come before the throne of God and interceded for these 10 people, simply by pasting a few names into the "To:" window and punching (We guys don't gently "click on" anything!) "Send"? (I have often wondered about that line in the classic Southern Gospel tune Just a Little Talk With Jesus, that says "So when you feel a little prayer wheel turning, and you know a little fire is burning...")

If you prayed for me today, thank you. I know I prayed for many of you. And if you want to send me an email to let me know that you prayed for me, that's great! But if I pass on an email that suggests I have prayed for those to whom I sent it, be sure that I took the time to actually pray for you. I'll trust that you did the same.

Until next time, My Little Lotus Jewels, keep spinning!

Listening to: "Just a Little Talk With Jesus," since it's now stuck in my head!

No comments: